[Editor’s note] This post was originally published in March 2015. It has been updated and republished in May 2019.
Whether you have cancer or are incorporating a cancer prevention diet, the Spicy Arugula & Sprout Salad recipe below is loaded with many different anti-cancer superfoods.
Extra virgin olive oil is known for its monounsaturated fatty acids and phytochemicals, which inhibit cancer. The minerals, enzymes, and phytonutrients boost your immune system for tumor protection.
Turmeric with curcumin is famous for its anti-inflammatory, blood purifying, and antioxidant effects.
And to top it all off… this salad tastes delicious!
Most people over the age of 50 are low in digestive enzymes and what’s also great about this salad recipe is that the dressing contains freshly squeezed lemon to help you digest the dark leafy greens.
All the ingredients are available at health food stores and farmers markets. Please buy organic whenever possible!
Cancer Fighting Arugula & Sprouts Salad Recipe
- 1½ teaspoons fresh turmeric root, finely chopped
- 1½ cups sunflower sprouts (rinsed) and broccoli sprouts
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (preferably locally grown), crushed and minced
- 1 organic cucumber, diced unpeeled
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 organic kale leaves (thoroughly washed), chopped
- ½ medium red onion, julienned
- 1 handful cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- 1 organic yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2½ cups organic arugula, rinsed and chopped
- 6 medium radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons raw organic pumpkin seeds
- 8-10 organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 organic Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, sliced, and placed on top of the salad
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper sliced for garnish (to be eaten)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of whole grain tahini (preferably stone crushed)
- 3 tablespoons of water
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan, Celtic or other high quality salt, to taste
- Organic extra virgin olive oil, add before serving to taste
- Gather all the ingredients together
- In a large salad bowl toss together the turmeric, sunflower sprouts, garlic, cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, kale, red onion, arugula, cilantro, radishes, bell pepper, and olives.
- Place the tahini in a small bowl and add the water, lemon juice, and salt. Blend with a fork to the consistency of syrup. If too thick add more water and lemon juice; if too thin add more tahini.
- Pour dressing into the salad bowl and toss it with the salad
- Spoon the salad evenly into your bowls, arrange the avocado and hot chili pepper on top
- Drizzle with olive oil and enjoy
Add This Recipe to Your Anti-Cancer Diet!
This sprouts salad recipe is rich in minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, phytonutrients, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and many anti-cancer superfoods.
The ingredients are also anti-inflammatory, loaded with silicon, nutritional sulfur, vitamins, protein, and help balance blood pH.
Do your best to buy organic ingredients to minimize chemical pesticides and herbicides and ensure you will not be consuming any genetically modified (GMO) foods.